I am a tourist. No matter how much I try to hide it, I scream TOURIST. I feel so helpless. This is a list of things I’ve learned so far:
1. If they ask you if you want a grocery bag, say no unless you really need it. I forgot you have to pay for grocery bags…
2. It is good to know some etiquette before you leave, like how much to tip…
3. Hostel websites do not have accurate pictures. You might need to lose a little weight before the trip so you can slide between the bed and the wall at night to get in. Also bring an extra blanket if you want your feet covered.
4. En suite bathrooms: I am having a hard time taking a shower because I laugh so hard everytime I step into our bathroom. Picture: RV bathroom with no division between shower and toilet & sink except a curtain. Our shower doesn’t drain, so this makes it a little difficult to use the toilet or sink.
Also on the bathroom note, they are called toilets here… I tried to go to the toilet in Starbucks and a worker asked me if I was ok. I said, ” Oh yes, I am fine” while tugging as hard as I could on the door. I was not fine… workers have to unlock the toilet door for you…. he gave me the oddest look while he unlocked the door.
5. Trinity College is run by magical leprechauns. I say this because the streets outside are SO noisy, but the minute you step inside the gate you cannot hear any street noise. There is no way that could happen without magic.
6. A double decker bus ride is the scariest thing you will ever do in your entire life. I sat at the top and feared death for approximately twenty minutes.
7. English is not the same here. I feel like I motion every time I ask a question, which makes me look even more touristy. Go me.
8. In Ireland they have 1 euro and 2 euro coins, as well as 50 cent, 20 cent, and 10 cent. I thought I had spent a ton of money until I emptied my pockets. I had twenty euro in coins. Thanks to the sweet lady in the tourist information center who gave me a euro coin lesson.
Alright, I’m off to shop and be touristy… more tomorrow after the St. Patrick’s Day parade!